Monday, August 19, 2013

Conventions

One cannot live life in a dark room, writing, writing, and writing forever and so, one must occasionally venture out to the gatherings of the clan at a genre convention.

I have to admit that I am not completely comfortable at conventions. Mostly this stems from my dislike of crowds, the noise, and the clamor.  Worse is the smell of desperation given off by my fellow writers who are desperate to sell copies of their latest novel, are seeking an agent, or trying to convince a publisher that their next book will be better than the last, despite what the critics might be saying. The short fiction writers mostly hang around the edges, ignored by all.

Equally distasteful is the conviviality of the typical con party where one must put on a happy face and listen to the most inane pronouncements of the garrulous crowd surrounding the free food and drink. I dislike party rooms packed thirty deep by fans who cage snacks wherever they can.  Give me quiet conversations at the bar or in some quiet nook instead.

Worse still is the dealers' room packed with unread books by writers I've never heard of, all of which beckon tantalizingly on table after table, providing an overwhelming feast of potential reads that I know I will never be able to consume.  Worse, with so many good writers producing novels in endless profusion, what chance have I of reading them all, much less selling one of my own?  I usually leave the room with less than I want, poorer in pocketbook, and depressed in spirit.

So why do I go to a convention if it is so uncomfortable?  I go because it gives me a chance to meet my fellow writer face to face and chat about the business. It gives me a chance to meet new writers or those who I have always wanted to meet and whose conversations always exposes me to new ideas and opportunities.

Better, it makes me feel like a god-damned WRITER!

#SFWApro

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I think we had a pretty good time at the bar at Worldcon last year. Some of the best conversations are the ones that have nothing to do with writing. I think I talked to Jim Fiscus about beer. And Kate Baker about baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're doing the right thing, Bud. It really works for you and is uplifting and inspiring. Keep it up if it continues to do well by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At more than one con I have looked at the guest list and said "Oh good -- Bud's here!"

    (Sent from the restaurant on the first day of Ravencon 2014.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog!